Research Fellow (Geophysics - InVEST Component D)
The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang Technological University seeks a Research Fellow to work on integrating geological and geophysical observations towards better understanding of the tectonic deformation and kinematics of the Southeast Asian Ring of Fire. They will also seek to understand linkages between volcanoes and tectonic systems in the region.
The candidate will work under the supervision of Asst Prof Shengji Wei and will collaborate with the researchers from the ‘Integrating Volcano and Earthquake Science and Technology (InVEST) in Southeast Asia’ project, a 5-year project that aims to provide a holistic understanding of regional tectonics, volcanoes, the linkages between the two, and their cascading hazards and impacts in Singapore and Southeast Asia. We will be hiring a large number of research staff and students to work on this project, so it promises to be a very exciting time to join our team!
EOS is a Research Centre of Excellence at Nanyang Technological University Singapore that conducts fundamental research on earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, and climate change in and around Southeast Asia, towards safer and more sustainable societies. EOS maintains a regional network of geophysical observation stations in collaboration with neighboring countries in Southeast Asia, that are supported by the EOS Centre for Geohazard Observations, as well as a Remote Sensing Lab (EOS-RS). Computational resources are available through a dedicated cluster and collaboration with the High-Performance Computing Centre of NTU. In addition, EOS hosts state-of-the-art analytical facilities for petrological and geochemical analysis, and a Community Engagement office that co-creates learning opportunities for a range of audiences to promote a safer and more sustainable future.
- Process seismic and geodetic observations for earthquakes and volcanic activities
- Conduct forward modeling for geodetic and seismic observations
- Conduct inversion/modeling using seismic and geodetic observations
- Make interpretations by integrating dynamic simulations, lab experiments and geologic observations with the inversion/modeling results
- Publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- Potential for co-mentorship of PhD students within the team
- Engaging in collaborative discussions with the large number of team members and collaborators for InVEST
- Ph.D. in Earth science, geophysics, geodesy, natural hazards, computational modelling, or a related field
- Demonstrated expertise in kinematic modeling of earthquake and/or volcano deformation is a requirement
- Expertise in the analysis of a wide range of geophysical and geologic data sets (e.g., geodetic, seismic, geological, marine geophysics, gravity, etc.)
- Strong expertise in programming with Python or MATLAB
- Strong track record of publishing research relevant to the position in Tier 1 journals
- Evidence of excellent English language and communication skills for publication
- Evidence of independence in research direction and team spirit
EOS seeks a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to equality of opportunity. We welcome applications from all and recruit on the basis of merit, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, marital status and family responsibilities, or disability.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, list of publications, and statement of research interests. Applications will be reviewed from 9 Jan 2023. We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please submit an official application here.
Hiring Institution: NTU