Research Associate (Water Sample Analysis)
The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) is a Research Centre of Excellence that conducts fundamental research on earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and climate change in and around Southeast Asia, toward safer and more sustainable societies. EOS is an institute of Nanyang Technological University, which has been placed the world’s top young university for the past seven years in the QS rankings. The University's main campus is frequently listed among the Top 15 most beautiful university campuses in the world and it has 57 Green Mark-certified (equivalent to LEED-certified) building projects, of which 95% are certified Green Mark Platinum. We seek a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to equality of opportunity.
EOS invites applications for a Research Associate to develop machine learning-based models for systematic classification of seismic events. The job will explore a variety of machine learning techniques, such as discretization of the Long Period seismicity into images that are used to train a vision transformer.
The job entails three main strands:
conducting research, assisting with teaching and/or supervision and maintenance of the microscope and image analysis laboratory.
The primary research aim is to develop a new methodology with machine learning algorithms for classification of earthquakes. The job will also include duties on the maintenance of the microscope and image analysis laboratory, and on the training and supervision of new users.
- Explore a variety of machine learning techniques
- Develop a classification routine that can be applied systematically
- Write-up of a manuscript in high-impact journal
- Masters in Volcanology or Geological Hazards
- Requires a thorough understanding and knowledge of seismicity, computer methods, and experience in the machine learning
- Skills required are computer vision, machine learning, Python, Illlustrator, paper writing and reviewing, and collaboration with NTU and international collaborators
EOS seeks a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to equality of opportunity. We welcome applications from all and recruit on the basis of merit, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, marital status and family responsibilities, or disability.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please submit an official application here.
Hiring Institution: NTU