Research Associate (Water Sample Analysis)
The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) invite applications for the position of Research Assistant. The Research Assistant will join a new project administered by the Public Utilities Board (PUB) collecting data from the Singapore Strait to better prepare Singapore’s water security (i.e., desalination) in the face of future climate change. This is an international, multi-institutional and trans-disciplinary program involving top researchers from the local and international community that aims to understand past, present and future climate change impacts on our water resources, as well as to source for alternative water sources (e.g., subsurface aquifers).
The work will involve assisting in the preparation and coordination for field surveys (e.g., sampling off a research vessel), organization and management of field and lab equipment, purchases and procurement of chemicals and materials, assist in laboratory analyses and communications for internal reporting and external announcements. Active participation in research will be encouraged, and support for publication and meeting/conference presentations, both local and international, can be available.
- Water collection (using Niskin bottle) and measuring water parameters (e.g., pH, salinity, temperature) using instrumental sensors onboard a research vessel
- Preparation of water samples for geochemical lab analysis
- Perform basic sediment analysis on offshore sediment samples
- Assist in the preparation and writing of progress reports and academic papers
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator
- Master’s degree in geochemistry or environmental sciences or similar fields
- Experience with sampling/water collection on board research boats and vessels
- Able to swim, as this will be essential when working in the field
- Ability to work independently and possess strong follow-through skills
- A team player in a project setting, also with ability to work independently in a multi-cultural team environment
- Demonstrated good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, work samples and names and contact details of two referees. We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please submit an official application here.
Hiring Institution: NTU