Young and research-intensive, Nanyang Technological University (NTU Singapore) is ranked 11th globally. It is also placed 1st amongst the world’s best young universities. The Earth Observatory in Singapore (EOS) at NTU Singapore is a national science Research Center of Excellence. Its mission is to conduct fundamental research on earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami and climate change in and around Southeast Asia, toward safer and more sustainable societies.
We invite applications for the position of Research Assistant /Research Associate to join our research group to work on hydro-geomorphologic mapping, morphodynamics, sediment transport and flood hazards in large Southeast Asian rivers with focus on Kalimantan (Indonesia).
- Perform GIS/RS analysis for fluvial geomorphic research (e.g. DEM processing, satellite products (MODIS/Landsat, radar images, etc), geomorphic/geologic mapping, morphometric analysis, surface processes, floods hazards, hydrological data derived from GIS), sedimentological and geophysical digital products.
- To participate of field works (car and boat) for geophysics surveys using echosounders, ADCPs, sub-bottom profilers and others. Assistance for drilling and collection of sediment cores.
- Literature reviews and data mining from websites or documents from different sources.
- Contribute as an assistant in laboratorial analyses in the Sedimentology lab (mineralogy, geochemistry, chronologies by Pb210 and others).
- Organize and process results, report to PI and any other ad-hoc duties as assigned by PI.
- Bachelor / Master Degree in geography, geology, environmental science or related fields.
- Capability to handle large-scale geospatial data and to conduct spatial analysis using GIS and remote sensing software.
- Knowledge on DEMs (such as SRTM) and their processing/analysis.
- Experience in some general environmental analysis such as web data mining (from governmental or non-governmental agencies), literature reviews and basic statistical analysis.
- Skillsets to identify necessary RS data, download and process to derive final products such as land cover maps, flood maps or morphometry.
- Knowledge on sedimentology and analytical methods applied to recent sediments (texture, mineralogy geochemistry)
- Willing to conduct field work overseas when necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Well organized and proactive/positive attitude in working as a team.
- Experience using geospatial technology to study geomorphology/hydrology and hydrological/morphodynamic modeling, Quaternary geology.
- R and Python Data Analysis
- Geomorphologic mapping software such as Global Mapper and others.
- Experience with radar remote sensing such as ALOS-PALSAR or radar altimeter.
- Some field work experience in hydrology, fluvial geomorphology or geology.
- Skills in Graphic design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)