The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) and Asian School of the Environment (ASE) at Nanyang technological University in Singapore invites applications for a Senior Research Fellow (>5 years’ experience after PhD). We are broadly interested in applications from qualified candidates who have interests and expertise relevant to the use of geodesy for monitoring and understanding hazards in South and Southeast Asia, and/or to the use of geodesy for mapping and understanding disasters. We are particularly interested in candidates who have expertise in observing and modelling tectonic or volcanic deformation with geodetic data, and candidates who have experience applying machine learning to geodetic data.
Successful candidates will join a diverse and dynamic group of geodesists at EOS and ASE, whose research covers GNSS, GNSS-IR, InSAR, tectonic geodesy, climate geodesy, sea-level rise, groundwater-related subsidence, and disaster response using remote sensing. Successful candidates will have a PhD in a relevant field (e.g., geophysics, earth science, geodesy), expertise in processing and modelling geodetic data using open-source analysis tools (e.g., GipsyX, GAMIT, GMTSAR, ISCE, MintPy) and a demonstrated track record of strong research publications in topics related to the position. They will also have strong English and communication skills, the ability to write code using Python or MATLAB, the desire and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team, and demonstrated ability of intellectual thought leadership.
- Process regional geodetic data using open-source tools such as GAMIT and GipsyX (GNSS) and GMTSAR and ISCE (InSAR)
- Model geodetic data to understand regional hazards
- Further their research direction independently and in a team
- Write up research results for publication in peer-reviewed journals and present results at conferences
- Assist in disaster response activities as needed
- Ph.D. in Earth science, geophysics, geodesy, natural hazards, computational modelling, or a related field.
- Strong expertise in high-precision GNSS data processing using the GAMIT or GIPSY processing tools and/or InSAR processing using GMTSAR or ISCE.
- At least 5 years of research experience post-PhD, with demonstration of independent leadership of research direction, ability to write and implement research proposals, and project management.
- Experience with other types of data such as GNSS-IR, satellite altimetry, and GRACE would be a plus
- Strong expertise in programming with Python or MATLAB.
- Demonstrated expertise in using geodetic data to analyse and model sea-level change and/or tectonic deformation
- Strong track record of publishing research relevant to the position in Tier 1 journals
- Evidence of excellent English language and communication skills
- Evidence of independence in research direction and team spirit
Some information about the work of our group can be found at https://twitter.com/eos_aria.
Questions should be directed to Assoc. Prof. Emma Hill (email@example.com). We apologise that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please click HERE and submit the following documents to us:
- List of publications
- Research statement
- Names and contact information of three referees