The main focus of my research career can be described in a word, “Calibration”. As manager of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution MicroPaleo Mass Spectrometer facility for 15 years, I analyzed almost 30,000 standards to ensure data integrity within our laboratory and abroad. We shared our inhouse ‘heavy’ isotopic standard, AtlantisII, with over 20 laboratories around the world so that the instrument community could share and produce well calibrated data sets. I continue to develop new stable isotopic standards and methodologies to aid developing Paleoproxy calibrations with a second calibration project involving 25 international laboratories. My planktic and benthic taxonomic skills allow for better dataset comparisons specifically within the benthic genera Cibicidoides/Cibicides and N. pachyderma/N. dutertrei planktic associates. My 20 year time-series sediment trap data NE of Iceland allows paleoceanographers to choose which species of planktic foraminifera to analyze based on calibrated calcification depths, allowing better comparisons to downcore sedimentary records. Finally, I challenge and train the next generation of stable isotope scientists from training high school and undergraduate students to overseeing Masters and Ph.D. projects.
- 1983 - 1985 Graduate course work in Marine Geology, Brown University, Providence, RI, US
- 1978 - 1979 Graduate course work in Oceanography, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, US
- 1979 Pomona College, Claremont, CA, US - BA Degree, Botany
- 1977 Sea Education Association, "Sea Semester", Boston University, MA, US
- May 2014 – present Technical Director of the Geochemical Laboratories, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 639798
- May 2012 – May 2014 Research Engineer & Laboratory Manager, University of Texas at Austin, Jackson School of Geosciences, Austin, Texas, USA
- April 2009 – April 2012 Research Scientist & Laboratory Manager, University College London, Departments of Earth Science & Geography, London, UK
- Nov. 2001 – April 2009 Research Specialist, Department of Geology and Geophysics, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Woods Hole, MA, US
- Oct. 1990 – Nov. 2001 Research Associate, Department of Geology and Geophysics, WHOI
- Nov 1981 – Oct. 1990 Research Assistant, Department of Geology and Geophysics, WHOI
- Summer 1981 First Mate, Schooner WHEN & IF, Landmark School, Beverly, MA. US
- Spring 1981 Science Educator, Hudson River Sloop CLEARWATER, Beacon, NY, US
- July 1979 – May 1981 Assistant Scientist, R/V WESTWARD, Sea Education Association, Woods Hole, MA, US
- July 1978 – July 1979 Research Assistant, Biological Oceanography, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, US
WHOI Linda Morse Porteous Award, 1994. “For her dedication to discovery and excellence, and for serving as a role model to other women”.
Paired Porites coral Sr/Ca and δ18O from the western South China Sea: Proxy Calibration of Sea Surface Temperature and Precipitation. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 410, 233-243. (2014).
Sea surface temperature and salinity variability at Bermuda during the end of the Little Ice Age. Paleoceanography. 23, PA3203. (2008).
WHOI MicroPaleo Mass Spec page:. (2006).
An enriched δ18O standard used for source gas mixing detection and correction. Paleoceanography. 15(3), 353-360. (2000).
Stable Isotope Data and AMS 14C Dates from Arctic Ocean Section 1994 Surface Sediment Transect and Box Core Sampled from the Mendeleyev Ridge Area. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report. (1999).
Ground-truthing the Paleoclimate Record: Sediment Trap Observations Aid Paleoceanographers. Oceanus. 40(2), 11-14. (1997).
Foraminiferal production and monsoonal upwelling in the Arabian Sea: evidence from sediment traps.. Evolution of Upwelling Systems since The Early Miocene. (1990).
Automated Carbonate System to Measure the Carbonate Concentration of Sediments.. Woods Hole Technical Report. (1990).
Seasonal variability of particle flux in the Weddell Sea and its relation to ice cover. Nature. 335(6189), 426-428. (1988).
Late Paleogene (Eocene to Oligocene) Benthic Foraminiferal Oceanography of the Goban Spur Region, DSDP, Leg 80. Initial Reports of the Deep Sea Drilling Project. 505-539. (1984).