I am currently working on two research projects, one related to sea level studies and the other to tsunami research.
In the sea level group, we study corals to assess sea level fluctuations during the Holocene. These fluctuations are traditionally mapped by data derived from ice cores, speleothems and other proxies, giving us data which are accurate but not precise. In our research, we aim to improve this precision by narrowing down the margin of error.
In order to gain high precision we study fossil coral microatolls in tectonically stable parts of the Sunda Shelf, which record the sea level during their lifetime. By comparing the sea levels during their lifetime with today’s levels we can trace the sea level changes over time.
In the tsunami group, we focus on finding tsunami deposits on the coast of Northern Sumatra, in particular Aceh. Based on coral atoll studies, ancient earthquakes have occurred on Andaman-Aceh slip patch. Although the terrestial paleoseismic data is sparse, the region has experienced past tsunami events.
We are currently investigating the geologic record of the past tsunami events by studying ancient tsunami sediment deposits, best preserved in coastal lakes and caves. We can find additional information about the interaction between tsunami events and people by studying ancient and historical occupation sites through geoarchaelogical excavations.
Our improved understanding of the sequence of tsunami events in Aceh and improved precision of the South China Sea level curve will allow for better planning of coastline development.
- 2018 Doctor of Philosophy, Interdisciplinary Graduate School/Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2003 Masters, Institute of Archaeology, University of Nicholas Copernicus, Poland
• 2018 – Present. Research Fellow Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2017 – 2018. Research Associate: Asian School of the Environment, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2012 - 2018. Ph.D. Student, Interdisciplinary Graduate School/Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2008 - 2012. Executive Officer to the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Poland, Sarawak, Malaysia.
• 2006 – 2008. Assistant to the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Poland, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Holocene relative sea-level records from coral microatolls in Western Borneo, South China Sea. Holocene. 28(9), 1431-1442. (2018).
Holocene sea level reconstruction for SE Peninsular Malaysia. 15th GEOSEA Conference, Hanoi, Vietnam. (2018).
Comparison of sea level reconstructions with glacio isostatic adjustment model predictions for Southeast Asia. IGCP Project 639, Taranto, Italy. (2018).
Half-metre sea-level fluctuations on centennial timescales from mid-Holocene corals of Southeast Asia. Nature Communications. 8(14387), (2017).
Excavations at Marcham/ Frilford (2006). South Midlands Archaeology. (2006).
Excavations at Marcham/ Frilford (2005). South Midlands Archaeology. (2005).
Excavations at Marcham/ Frilford (2004). South Midlands Archaeology. (2004).
Excavations at Marcham/ Frilford (2003). South Midlands Archaeology. (2003).
Relative Sea Level Proxy Records From Fossil Coral Microatolls In Western Borneo, South China Sea: Sea-level Stability By 7 Ka And Possible Holocene Faulting.. Asia Oceania Geosciences Society 14th Annual Meeting. (2017).