My research focuses on risk’s assessment and mitigation in insular background, mainly on volcanic and tsunami hazards, on La Réunion (Piton de la Fournaise volcano), Grande Comore (Karthala volcano) and Indonesian islands. Areas of particular emphasis include: volcanic crisis management, people’s vulnerability, evacuation proceedings, risk perception, education tools, crisis management exercises.
Main fieldwork places: La Réunion, Comoros, Indonesia, Italia, French Antilles
- 2007-2012 PhD in Earth Sciences (with honors equivalence), University of La Réunion - IPGP, "Institutional and people responses facing volcanic crisis: La Reunion and Grande Comore case studies" (in French)
- 2006 Post graduate degree in Disasters and Natural Hazards Management (with honors), University Paul Valéry Montpellier III
- 2005 Masters in Geography, with a specialisation in Volcanic Geomorphology (with honors), University Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne
- 2014 (Apr-July) Post-Doc researcher involved in the CASAVA 5-year project funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR). Assessment of volcanic hazards and risks in Antilles: Implications for decision making and crisis management. Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris.
- 2013 (Sept-Nov) Post-Doc researcher on historical tsunamis along Ligurian and Sardinian coasts, Italy. French nuclear energy agency (Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique, subcontracted by ASCG).
- 2013 (Jan-July) Post-Doc researcher involved in the SEDIMER 3-year project funded by the AXA Research Fund Sediment-related Disasters following the 2010 centennial eruption of Merapi Volcano, Java, Indonesia (http://www.lgp.cnrs-bellevue.fr/sedimer/index.html). Laboratoire de Géographie Physique de Meudon, CNRS. Co-leader of WP6.
- 2011 Scientist advisor for the ‘Paré pas paré’ education program for public and scholars. Indian Ocean French Red Cross Intervention Plateform (PIROI, 6 months) - http://piroi.croix-rouge.fr/-051-pare-pas-pare-
- 2009 (Dec) UNESCO consultant. Conception and implementation of B.A. in disaster management and risk reduction engineering, Antananarivo University, Departement of Physic, Antananarivo Geophysical Institute and Observatory, Madagascar
- 2008-2010 Associate researcher in the PREPARTOI 3-year project funded by MAIF Foundation (Mitigation and Research for decreasing the tsunami risk on Indian Ocean), CNRS
- 2008 (Nov) Scientific advisor for volcanic risk within the elaboration of ‘UN Inter-Agency Contingency Plan for Union des Comores’, OCHA, Moroni, Union des Comores
- 2007-2008 Scientific supervision of the 15-month Pilot Project ‘Comorian Red Crescent capacities strengthening and sensitization of people facing risks from Karthala volcano’ for French Red Cross, Moroni, Union of Comoros; Funded by Canadian Red Cross
- 2006-2009 Coordinator of Public risk education axis of the CORECOM 2-year project (Environmental Research Cooperation in Comoros). Funded by the Federation of La Reunion and Indian Ocean Research
- 2005-2006 Coordinator of Prevention Axis of the TSUNARISQUE 2-year project (Environmental and social consequences following the 26th December 2004 tsunami), funded by DIPT
- 2003-2008 Research field assistant. 8 months: several missions in collaboration with CNRS-Cerege Aix-en-Provence, LGSR - La Reunion Univ., LMV & Geolab – Université Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand, IMAA-CNR Potenza, INGV Palerme & Naples, Osservatorio Vesuviano
Teaching activities (~500 hours):
- 2013-2014 Lecturer, University Paris 5 Descartes - Faculty of Human and Social Sciences. Level: Master in Risk Engineering. Course taught: Natural hazards and risks, crisis management simulations
- 2010-2014 Guest lecturer, University Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne, Univ. Montpellier III, and Ecole Nationale de l’Administration - Faculties of Geography and Public Administration. Level: Masters in Environment and Natural Hazards, Disasters and Risk Management, and Risk Management and Mitigation. Course taught: crisis management simulations
- 2009-2011 Lecturer, University Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne - Faculty of Geography. Level: Undergraduate students. Courses taught: geomorphology, hydrology, cultural geography, territorial diagnosis (through fieldwork initiation)
- 2007-2009 Teaching assistant, University of La Réunion - Faculties of Geography and Earth Sciences. Level: Undergraduate students, Master in urban engineering and environment. Courses taught: cartography, geology, natural hazards
Other academic activities:
- 2015 Reviewer for Revue Belge de Geographie and AGU Books
- 2008 - 2014 Supervisor of 9 Master students in Geography and of Undergraduate field internships
- 2008 - present PhD students representative, University of La Réunion Scientific Committee (2007-2010) and Member of Association of the Doctors and PhD students of University of La Réunion
- 2007 - 2010 Member, Prefectorial Risk Technical Committee, Direction Départementale de l’Equipement, La Réunion
- 2007 - 2010 Member, ‘La Maison du Volcan’ Scientific Council
- 2007 - 2010 Regional coordinator, International Year of Planet Earth, La Réunion