Stephen Chua received his B.A. (Hons) in Geography in 2003 and MSc (Environmental Science) in 2010 from NIE/NTU. His undergraduate dissertation focused on reconstructing palaeoenvironmental changes to the Sungei Buloh-Kranji mangrove coast, while his Master’s work involved monitoring and predicting potential impacts of sea level rise on the Pasir Ris mangroves.
Stephen joined the Interdisciplinary Graduate School NTU as a Ph.D. student under the supervision of Associate Professor Adam Switzer and Professor Ben Horton in 2014. He received an Endeavour Research Fellowship in 2017 to conduct isotopic analysis of sediments at the Advanced Analytical Centre, James Cook University, Cairns. Stephen was a recipient of the Outstanding Student Poster Award at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting in 2018. During his Ph.D., he used borehole data to conduct geological modelling of the Kallang River Basin, and used sedimentological and geochemical records from sediment cores in Singapore to reconstruct past sea level, morphological and environmental changes.
Stephen is currently a Research Fellow working under Prof. Horton looking at past sea level and coastal change in Singapore and the region, using sea level proxies (e.g. mangrove peat) found predominantly in sediment cores.
- 2019 PhD (Geology, Holocene Sea Level), Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University
- 2010 Master of Science (Life Sciences), National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University
- 2003 Bachelor of Arts (Honours 2nd Upper Division), National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University
- 2002 Bachelor of Arts in Education (Merit), National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University
- 2000 Diploma in Education (Distinction), National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University
- January 2014 - present Member, National Stratigraphy Working Group (BCA)
- Febuary 2015 - January 2017 Visiting Research Associate, British Geological Survey (BGS)
- July 2010 - July 2013 Head of Department (Science)
- January 2008 - June 2010 Level Head (Science)
- January 2006 - January 2008 Teacher-on-Secondment (Science Centre Singapore)
December 2018 - Outstanding Student Presentation Award, American Geophysical Union (AGU)
October 2017 - Endeavour Research Fellow, Australia Government Awards
July 2016 - Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (NTU)
Quaternary Stratigraphy of the Kallang River Basin, Singapore. Underground Singapore 2016. 261-270. (2016).
Evolution of the Sungei Buloh–Kranji mangrove coast. Applied Geography. 24(3), 181-198. (2004).
Calculating sediment compaction for radiocarbon dating of intertidal sediments. Radiocarbon. 46(1), 421-435. (2004).
Singapore Relative Sea-level History revealed from Holocene Mangrove Peats. 5th international Mangrove Macrobenthos and Management meeting (MMM5) 2019. (2019).
Sea-Level and Coastal Evolution of the Kallang River Basin, Singapore. American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting 2018. (2018).
Quaternary Stratigraphy of the Kallang River Basin, Singapore. Asia Oceania Geosciences Society Conference 2017. (2017).
A high-resolution geological model for central Sundaland: Quaternary Stratigraphy of the Kallang River Basin, Singapore. PAGES Past Global Changes. (2017).
Late Quaternary Palaeoenvironment of the Kallang River Basin, Singapore : Preliminary results from Holocene Marine Clays. XRF Core Scanning Conference 2017. (2017).
Earthquake-bound ponded sediments as a high-resolution archive of Anthropocene climate in the arid Fuyun region of northwestern China. European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly 2016. (2016).