Los Angeles urban tectonics
Urban faults and folds pose a particular hazard to humankind. Even in Los Angeles, these hazards have not been quantified fully. We have mapped and studied the Hollywood fault and the Santa Monica fault. We've also attempted to quantify the hazard posed by the blind thrust faults beneath the downtown, high-rise district and east Los Angeles.
- Late quaternary activity and seismic potential of the Santa Monica fault system, Los Angeles, California. Geological Society of America Bulletin. 112, 1559-1581. (2000).
- Active parasitic folds on the Elysian Park anticline: Implications for seismic hazard in central Los Angeles, California. Geological Society of America Bulletin. 112, 693-707. (2000).
- Active tectonics, paleoseismology, and seismic hazards of the Hollywood fault, northern Los Angeles basin, California. Geological Society of America Bulletin. 109, 1595-1616. (1997).
- Prospects for larger or more frequent earthquakes in the Los-Angeles metropolitan region. Science. 267, 199-205. (1995).
- Wilshire fault: Earthquakes in Hollywood?. Geology. 22(4), 291-294. (1994).