Research Assistant (Geodesy)
The Geodesy Group at the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang technological University in Singapore invites applications for the position of Research Assistant. EOS is a research centre at NTU with a mission to conduct fundamental research on earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, and climate change in and around Southeast Asia, towards safer and more sustainable societies. For more information on EOS please visit http://www.earthobservatory.sg.
The position is quite flexible, and can be tailored to the interests of the successful candidate as long as the general scope of research aligns with that of the EOS Geodesy Group and/or EOS-RS. The successful candidate will join a diverse and dynamic team of geodesists and remote-sensing experts at EOS, who value creativity, empathy, collaboration, diversity, inclusion, and excellence in research. The teams’ research covers GNSS, GNSS-IR, InSAR, tectonic geodesy, climate geodesy, sea-level rise, groundwater-related subsidence, and disaster response using SAR remote sensing. More information about the work of our groups can be found through https://twitter.com/eos_geodesy and https://twitter.com/eos_rs.
- Analyze and interpret geodetic and remote sensing data from regional observing networks and satellites to further our understanding of natural hazards and respond to disasters, with focus on South and Southeast Asia
- Support the research work of other team members, for example by gathering training data sets for machine learning projects or by coding up new algorithms for disaster mapping
- If interested, carry out independent research work and write up the results for publication and presentation at conferences
- If interested, support public engagement activities by helping to write blog and social media posts about the research work of the group
- B.Sc. in Earth science, remote sensing, geodesy, natural hazards, computational modelling, computer science, data science, or a related field
- Background knowledge of Earth science and natural hazards is ideal, although we will also consider candidates with a strong background in computer science or data analysis
- Experience programming with Python or MATLAB would be a strong plus
- Experience working with GIS systems would be a strong plus
- Evidence of excellent English language and communication skills
- Evidence of independence in research and team spirit
- Enthusiasm to engage in the research work of our group, and a passion for making Southeast Asia a safer and more sustainable place for all communities in the region
- Only candidates with existing permission to freely work in Singapore will be considered
Interested applicants should submit a CV, cover letter (explaining (a) reasons for being interested in the position and (b) relevant experience, and the names and contact information for two referees. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Questions can be directed to Assoc Prof Emma Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org).
EOS seeks a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to equality of opportunity. We welcome applications from all and recruit on the basis of merit, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, marital status and family responsibilities, or disability.
We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please submit an official application here.
Hiring Institution: NTU